A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Boys as Saviors

Mostly all of them. God bless 'em.
Winter of 96, my vigils every night
listening between my mother's snores
for what. The IRA. The murderer from Seven.
Checking the oven. Some contortionist.
The enemies are men too, naturally.
How could a girl at fifteen save her mom,
her brother. Maybe Joan of Arc,
maybe versus David Bowie, but the world is dark
and crawling. Then those college boys
slept in our parlor. Rope of garlic. Vale of health.
I slept eleven hours; we all had brunch.
If murderers are Dracula so are the boys.
Your weakness lets them in; your weakness is
boys' kindness. Let me be kind the boys say
no one having taught them to bring over pie.
Even you, love, even you and I
began with you saving me from an unnecessary drive.
I won't allow it you told my brother,
the one I'd saved from being blown sky-high.
You'll leave this house at once and so I drove away
no chance to come back later, but still burned with saved

4 comments:

  1. Saved by the Boy! Nice love poem diptych, Ferbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul says, "What a hilarious lady!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I posted your poem on the Best American Poetry blog because I loved it so much!
    http://blog.bestamericanpoetry.com/the_best_american_poetry/2012/04/napowrimo-poems-day-4.html

    I hope that's OK. If not, just me know, and I'll take it down.

    Best, JLK

    ReplyDelete