A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Once Bitten!

Well, it's been a rough couple of days.
I didn't mean a word of it, and when I said
bite me I wanted you to really bite me,
like in the arm--it takes the edge off.
No, I'm not trying to remind you of him,
my vampire boyfriend--that was high school,
and you know nothing in high school matters,
not now, not when we're buying real estate
and you are so patient about everything
and I can reach up and brush the petals
of your cheek with my fingers, so what I'm saying
is don't worry about it, let's have a drink, let's
snuggle in the hammock with the radio
on the jazz station you like and let's fall
asleep talking about pie crust ratios:
3:2:1 contact how I love you now the wine
is working and I remember how my face
got warm and his didn't because it was so cold
your hair would freeze and I remember he bit
my arm and all the edges came
right off.

No comments:

Post a Comment