A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Postcards from the 12:07

Hardhat like a tangerine
upturned in the dirt. A tangled tree,
a coiled fluorescent flag

Was there anything that you dreamed of being? 
Laughter. Right, right.
When people anticipate on something like that

This station stop is Rahway.
The gently etched grid
studded with cars like slumbering lizards

The budding branches intersect
a green-wrapped wire
a pile of petals waist-deep

Flowers are for everyone, my father said
taking the handful he will give my mother
wrapped in green yarn 

The Chowder Pot the Players Pub
its rainbow resolutely Irish
some leprechaun loving its fish

4 comments:

  1. I back-dated this! I really posted it at 1:20 a.m. on 4/10. But I _wrote_ it on 4/9 so I want it to be registered as such!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I am a dummy b/c I forgot what you call a hard hat & wrote "construction hat"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I get to play the train game of trying to find all this stuff too! Nice.

    Also, Elaine Equi has a long poem in the tradition of the Great Rutgers-NYC Train Ride called "Trenton Local"--

    here!
    http://books.google.com/books?id=4LgldGafnEEC&lpg=PA22&dq=elaine%20equi%20trenton%20local&pg=PA22#v=onepage&q&f=false

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that poem is awesome! Elf lubricant!

    ReplyDelete