A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Choose Your Own Adventure

You pick take the left fork
and all the dwarves with gems
immediately vanish. It has made
all the difference, but the difference is
YOU KNOW. In real life
you don't know. You haven't seen
the gemmed-up dwarves on 63,
the flaming oxhead (118)--things you saw
but things that never happened.
Not quite dreams. Unless my dreams--
shriveled baby, mobster blowjob,
accidental self-decapitation--are all
right-fork, all 246, all paths
marking my pages but unreachable.

The one I made you, or made at you
from yellow legal pad & thread.
I had every ending in that one.
I had them in my head and in my hand.
You followed my college-ruled clue
to come out the other side
of every ending, every nurse and vampire.
That means I think that anything can happen.
That means I think it all already has.

No comments:

Post a Comment