A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fool


Yes this morning I think sunshine outshines stars.
But yes I’d rather have fireworks than stars
sometimes. Not every night. Last night
Paul outlined his plan to not get fooled
not again, not ever: flash ‘em a prophylactic legal pad
“Jackass I know what day it is.” Jackass I know
& fear it; you’re always fooling me, bright world
with your pathetic fallacies, your baits & switches,
your shiny solar-powered witches.
Jackass your fireworks that are not stars.
Jackass lie to me and jackass I’ll believe
and jackass loping braying through the streets
making the world dip down and westward
and stuttering the jingle of the ice cream truck
out of the gathering darkness, into our living room.
Jackass every lie you tell is also true
or also beautiful; jackass the baby that may not exist
swivels invisibly toward the sun,
ripples like that treeful of winter buds
I can almost maybe see begin to open.


1 comment: