A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Food is Gross


My mom can stand up on the 6 train without holding on,
’cause she’s just real like that, like J-Lo.

I move to another car ’cause two people are talking
about food ingredients, and food is gross.

I like your glasses because they’re a continuation
of the glasses trend that I started.

Food is gross because it all has fat in it.
And I feel sad every time I eat it.

And I’m worried that I’m gonna get pushed on the tracks
’cause I’m so beautiful and young and get eaten by rats.

I buy all the shirts with fleur de lis on them
because fleur de lis remind me of you

and me when we couldn’t stop fighting,
and when we were in bed but I was mad at you,

and you were mad at me,
and I hated all the fleur de lis.

And someone told me they’d make me my favorite food,
but then they didn’t. But that’s fine ’cause food is gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment