A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Two Topics

I asked Paul for a topic and he gave me two:
1) handouts
2) jellybean on the floor


I think you like the music I'm playing
but something's off. You dove
in your dancing, and now you rise
holding your mouth
in a weird way, like something's in it.
Gleam of green. Did you break apart
my necklace? I hook my finger,
extract an emerald: wet, abraded, 
crosshatched with sugar.
I test it in my own mouth:
a bright sour, dim sweet.
It isn't good for you.
It wasn't right for me
to put temptation in your way.
Your pleasures should be meted out
deliberately, according to schedule,
so you can get what you need
so you can be properly grateful.
No fugitive pleasures:
undocumented glucose
unrepentant jellybean

No comments:

Post a Comment