A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Saturday, April 25, 2015

Spell for Protection

I walk down dark streets alone all the time

I don't even know if I'm not supposed to

do that anymore / yet, again, still

protection: oft requested

"I bind you, Nancy," etc.

feels like winter again tonight

from my corner window I see armory turrets

it's a men's shelter, my sister says

for murderers and rapists without families

who got out.  still in.  she runs

a clinic on the other side of town.

what are you afraid of and

what does that say about you?

say about yourself:

I'm not afraid

I'm not afraid

I'm not afraid

all the men surprised to learn

how it is for us

where do they live

where do I

the day cracks in two

you float on your piece

I float away on mine

to take whichever way home

without fear

to have home

to own space like that!

for protection I was given

pink crystals

so far I have not gotten

much more

hurt

No comments:

Post a Comment