A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Monday, April 30, 2012

My Twentieth Century

You whizz by
jetski-insignif
space, time, speed
nos encanta
me y Bill "Carlos" W.
the local made relative
Your itty bitty little
magazines enchant us
stinkpile of everyday
ness in the street
at the movies, on the moon
where we bring our
baedeker and we
spell it wrong
we have fucked
all the Futurists
every day in every way
I miss you, twentieth century
I remember you
with the fondness
of a native daughter
One hundred years ago
Monroe invented Poetry
and the Titanic sank
A plane into a skyscraper
and the New comes
crumbling down
I can see 'Freedom
Tower'
Falling towers
Jerusalem Athens Alexandria
Vienna London
Unreal
from my 'bedroom
window'
The twentieth century
Frank was
so ashamed was
so entertaining
What fun, what fun
we had
it has really been quite
a spectacle
'just free, that's all,
never argue
with the movies'
The twentieth century
at sea level how could we
ever make any
thing new
again
yet
I have stuck around
this long
because I
heart art

2 comments: