A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Brought to you by Letters & I


I have torn my hair for three long days

I took endless pains to show how a god (ie to begin with a daimon) arose from concrete fact

I thought men were all so great & strong & knew about Procedure by instinct

I went to a splendid aeroplane cinema

I found myself getting hotter & hotter & gasping with excitement & sympathy

I have been most grounded

I wrote a really beautiful paragraph

I should like to write a play for a cinema

I am rather proud of being able to write a guid gentlemanly review

I am just flying up to London to hear Ridgeway on the Mother-of-God

I understand now what hurt me a little when you said it why you won’t be a democrat


I understand heaps of things

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mimz you are doing some pretty exciting research out there! I am JEALOUS. You DO understand heaps of things! I want to understand more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Jane Harrison explains it all" should have been what I called this. I am spending way too much time transcribing all the delightful bits of her letters and not ruthlessly researching but I won't stop!

    ReplyDelete