A poem a day in April from Rutgers English PhD students and friends.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Poem

Rain makes New York
Old New York

as if posing for a black-and-white
postcard

hot dog steam, Bergdorf Goodman
umbrellas and Prada

“as the enormous air of the avenue
lay pierced by rain”

I turn the corner and see Bernadette
on an Acconci reel

I walk in front of Nam June Paik’s
projector

declare my silhouette the star of
Zen for Film

“That’s how you make conceptual
art in a selfie world”

As a nod to poet security guards
everywhere

I wear my Silver Jews t-shirt
to the steakhouse

where the captains nod and hum
“Very good, sir”

I do this, I do that
Things to Do

The New York School vs.
The Pavement School

Heading toward Bedford
at terror twilight

We pass the stop called
York

Late night on Brevoort Place
the drops

in the streetlamp begin to float
and blow

1 comment: